Clarence Wooten's Bio
Clarence Wooten is a serial internet entrepreneur who has been creating and building Internet startups since 1998. Back then he co-founded and was CEO of ImageCafe.com, an online superstore of pre-fabricated websites for small businesses. ImageCafe was acquired for $23 million by Network Solutions/Verisign in November 1999, 7-months after launch and just before the dot com bubble popped.
After being an entrepreneur based in Maryland his entire career, Clarence moved to Palo Alto, CA in early 2011 — to the heart of Silicon Valley, with the goal of doing it bigger and better. In pursuit of this goal, he recently founded VentureFund.io where he serves as CEO; and co-founded Progressly where he serves as Chairman.
VentureFund.io is a real-time traction marketplace that makes it easy for founders to build relationships with investors simply by sharing a live-feed of their startup's growth data. Our goal is to reduce selection bias and make access to capital performance driven.
Clarence is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and was honored as a distinguished alumnus in 2010.
In this episode, we discussed:
- 03:18 – What Clarence does in his day to day roles at VentureFund.io and Progressly
- 05:18 – Why he's enjoying the work he's currently doing
- 06:00 – Who inspired his direction to go into business and investing
- 07:27 – The biggest lessons he learned as a business owner over nearly 20 years in business
- 09:45 – A story about an early roadblock on his career journey that almost tanked his business and how Clarence pushed through
- 11:35 – When he began learning about the investor side and the process of becoming an investor
- 14:45 – Explained what VentureFund.io is and does
- 15:50 – Clarence defines “startups”
- 16:45 – Explained the Traditional (TVR) and Traction methods for raising assets for your startup
- 22:15 – What might be contributing most to businesses that are failing
- 23:50 – How he keeps pushing himself to new and higher heights
Links and resources mentioned:
- Clarence Wooten on Twitter
- Clarence's Tool: Techmeme.com
- Clarence's Fav Book: Once You're Lucky, Twice You're Good: The Rebirth of Silicon Valley and the Rise of Web 2.0
Thanks for Listening!
We appreciate you visiting our site today and for helping to bring awareness to the Trailblazers.FM podcast.
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to get automatic updates! It’s free!