Professor Monica F. Cox Ph.D. is the Inaugural Chair of recently created Department of Engineering Education at The Ohio State University.
Listen on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
- Dr. Monica Cox is a Professor and the Inaugural Chair in the Department of Engineering Education at The Ohio State University
- Her research is focused on the use of mixed methodologies to explore significant research questions in undergraduate, graduate, and professional engineering education; to explore issues of intersectionality among women, particularly Women of Color in engineering; and to develop, disseminate, and commercialize reliable and valid assesment tools for use across the engineering education continuum.
- In 2011, she became the first African American woman to earn tenure in the College of Engineering at Purdue University
- In 2008 she also earned a Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), which is the highest honor bestowed by the US Government on outstanding scientists and engineers
- Monica is the Founder and CEO or Prepared to Be A Pioneer, where she serves as a speaker and consultant
Here's a sneak peek of what's inside today's episode:
Prof Monica F. Cox Ph.D is such an amazing, yet approachable Pioneer for Women in #STEMhttps://t.co/ioadq3pWqj pic.twitter.com/nIZMgqVATA
— Trailblazers Podcast (@tbpod) April 20, 2016
In this episode, we discussed:
- 04:00 – The point she recognized her interest in S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- 05:00 – Her early stage mentors, including her parents and professors at Spelman College
- 06:50 – Her strategic approach to attaining the degrees she did and her desire to become a University President since the age of 19
- 07:45 – We spoke about her new job at Ohio State and what her day to day there is like right now
- 10:15 – We talked about perseverance and how she was able to push ahead through some of her road blocks as a pioneer
- 15:45 – How often she looks at her goals and tracking them
- 17:20 – We talked about what we as a community and for those of us as parents, can begin doing to expose our children to S.T.E.M.
Links and resources mentioned:
- Prepared to Be a Pioneer website
- Monica Cox on Twitter
- Dr. Cox's Fav Book: Rework by Jason Fried
Thanks for Listening!
We appreciate you visiting our site today and for helping to bring awareness to the Trailblazers.FM podcast.
Please leave an honest review for The Trailblazers Podcast on iTunes & Stitcher! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show.
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to get automatic updates! It’s free!
[Photo credit belongs to Brent Russell]
Subscribe / Listen on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn