“There's always someone watching you who has the power to bless you. It's about showing up every day and being the best that you can be.” Patrice Washington
Our Guest: Patrice Washington
Known as America's Money Maven, Patrice Washington is a nationally recognized best-selling author, transformational speaker, and a leading authority on personal finance, entrepreneurship and success for women and youth. She's had tremendous success with her “money mindset” approach to personal finance and is committed to redefining the term “wealth”.
Patrice’s wisdom on money matters has been tapped as a recurring voice by national brands such as NBC, FOX News, Black Enterprise, The Huffington Post, Essence Magazine and more. She’s most known as the personal finance voice of the top-rated and nationally syndicated Steve Harvey Morning Radio Show where she hosts her own weekly segment, Real Money Answers with Patrice Washington.
In today's conversation, Patrice and I discuss the truth about wealth and why wealth is so much more than money.
Connect with Patrice:
- Tiffany Dufu
- Drop The Ball
- Believe Bigger
- Wealth Can't Wait
- You're A Badass
- Wealth is a Choice
A few of the questions we asked Patrice:
- How you go about cultivating 100% belief in yourself today – and on all sides – mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally?
- Share what it means and what it feels like to be a black woman in 2018?
- What do you mean when you say “wealth is more than money”?
- Share your truths about wealth
- Why do you think so many of our women aren't taking care of themselves and focusing in on their well-being?
Key Points from Patrice:
- There's always someone watching you who has the power to bless you. It's about showing up every day and being the best that you can be.
- My mission is to restore hope to people in the area of personal finance and in their lives as a whole
- I think that the laws and the principles are universal, and if we’ll work them they'll work for us
- Wealth building is so much about more parts of who we are, and the reason that people chase money unsuccessfully is because they don't take the time to cultivate these other areas
- We're on this hustle and grind and work 24/7 — we don't sleep, we don't rest, we don't take care of ourselves, we don't eat well. How can you expect to walk into such a big vision, if you're not protecting the vessel that's needed to get to the vision?
- One of the biggest things that I credit with my success today, was going to sit on a couch and talk to someone about my childhood trauma.
- You will continue to sabotage your own success and ability to build wealth, if you do not deal with some of your trauma.
- What it feels like to be a black woman in 2018: For all the advances we've made in education and entrepreneurship, we have so much healing to still do.
- So much of what we see on social media is because we're craving the validation and affirmation of people that we don't even know. Because we don't get it on the inside that we were created in God's image.
- I don't believe in chasing money, I chase purpose. I don't believe in just chasing opportunities just to say, “I did it.” I chase what feels right in my spirit, what feels right in my heart.
- I'm down for all brown children. I do always try to encourage any parent under the sun, in my voice, to just be intentional about how you love on brown babies.
- Be intentional about how you love on brown babies; and don't assume that they understand that there’s going to be people who don't like them just because of their anointing, and they have to be prepared with how to deal with that.
- I want people to know that wealth is more than money and what we should be striving for is well-being and money is going to become the byproduct.
- Today my self-worth is so much more than my net worth. And my wealth today is in God’s promises. My wealth today is in my wife who stuck by me in the darkest valley and went on to bless me by making me a father to two amazing little people.
- “What good is money in the hands of a fool, if they have no desire to seek wisdom?” [Proverbs 17:16]
- Wisdom is about the application of knowledge: Do you know when and where and how to use what you know?
- Chase purpose not money.
- I didn't do bad deals. I just didn't always do wise deals. They didn't have a greater purpose.
- Wealth is the condition of well-being, in other words, happiness or fulfillment. How are you defining wealth today?
- You don't have to not sleep at night. I'm not saying that you don't have to work hard, but you don't have to run yourself in the ground and ruin every relationship that you have and neglect that still small voice that is trying to get to you and take a job that's outside of your purpose when you know that's not what you're called to do.
- Lack of fulfillment is what leads to financial mismanagement.
- If you work on being fulfilled like the true definition of wealth says, and all these areas of life, everything that you want will be added to you.
- If you would stop making it all about money, all the money you want will come to you.
- So many of our women aren't taking care of themselves and focusing in on their well-being women. We are so conditioned to take care of and save everyone else but ourselves.
- The Superwoman Syndrome — you make it work, you make things happen. But so often that comes to our own detriment. We worry about everyone else, and we come second.
- Wonder Woman … should have power and strength and be strong as a man but have the grace and poise and peace and ability to love like a tender woman. These expectations make women suffer in silence.
- Wonder Woman … We're the ones that everyone depends on, but then where do we go?
- For the women that I support, I just want them to know that I feel you, I hear you, I see you, I understand what that's like, and the answer is not another raise or promotion.
One Action To Blaze Your Trail:
Decide that you're ready to be wealthy! Make a choice. Everything comes with a decision.
Thanks for Listening!